Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Suicide... in songs - My Radio Boo broadcast (Wednesday 7 September 2016)


My radio broadcast with suicide related songs on Radio Boo.

Listen to the broadcast here:

http://yourlisten.com/lefteris.lalos.7/my-radio-boo-broadcast-wednesday-7-september-2016


22:00 - 23:00

01One - METALLICA (LP ...And Justice for All1988)
US # 35, UK # 13, FI # 1, SE # 3, NL # 3, NO # 4, IE # 12, CH # 22, BE # 23, DE # 31, AU # 38, NZ # 13
The song was inspired by the film ''Johnny Got His Gun'' (1971). The video of the song contains scenes from the movie.
Lyrics: Now that the war is through with me I'm waking up I cannot see that there is not much left of me Nothing is real but pain now Hold my breath as I wish for death... Fed through the tube that sticks in me Just like a wartime novelty Tied to machines that make me be Cut this life off from me


02Join Me - HIM (single1999 / LP Razorblade Romance, 1999)
DE # 1, FI # 1, AT # 2, CH # 8, IT # 30, NL # 33, BE # 37, SE # 52
Lyrics: Would you die tonight for love? Baby join me in death... This life ain't worth living


03Jeremy - PEARL JAM (LP Ten1991)
UK # 15, CA # 32, NL # 59, DE # 93, AU # 68, NZ # 34
video about the suicide of 15-year old student Jeremy Wade Delle, who shot himself in class with a 357 Magnum on January 8, 1991 in a high school in Richardson, Texas.
Lyrics


04Youth Of The Nation - P.O.D. (LP Satellite2001)
DE # 5, NO # 5, BE # 7, SE # 7, DK # 10, AT # 11, IT # 13, FI # 15, CH # 16, NL # 34, BE # 47, FR # 72, AU # 17
About the Columbine High School massacre, where ten students were killed in the school library, where the pair of shooters subsequently committed suicide on 20 April 1999.
Lyrics


05Otherside - RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS (LP Californication1999)
US # 14, UK # 33, IT # 17, SE # 19, NL # 24, DE # 44, CH # 65, AU # 31
Lyrics: Slit my throat it's all I ever


06Can't Stand Losing You - THE POLICE (single, 1978 / LP Outlandos D'Amour1978)
UK # 2, IE # 7, NL # 10, BE # 15, NZ # 48
Lyrics: I guess this is our last goodbye and you don't care so I won't cry and you'll be sorry when I'm daed when all this guilt will be on your head. I guess you'd call it suicide but I'm too full to swallow my pride



07Kiss Off VIOLENT FEMMES (LP Violent Femmes1983)
Lyrics: at the end of the song he tries to explain why he is taking all those pills trying to kill himself


08Mad World - TEARS FOR FEARS (single1982 / LP The Hurting, 1983)
UK # 3, DE # 21, FR # 73, NZ # 25
There is also a popular version by Michael Andrews feat. Gary Jules (OST Donnie Darco, 2001)
Lyrics: the dreams on which I'm dying, are the best I've ever had


09The Blood That Moves The Body - a-ha (LP Stay On These Roads1988)
UK # 25, BE # 16, DE # 23, NL # 24, CH # 29
The song most likely refers to teen-suicide wave in Japan.
Lyrics: Red stains on 'Eyes Of A Blue Dog' My pains fade as the interiors fog The blood that moves the body Now colors the ground


10You're Only Human (Second Wind) - BILLY JOEL (single1985)
US # 9, NL # 22, NZ # 17
Lyrics


11Wondeful Life - HURTS (LP Happiness2010)
UK # 21, DE # 2, CH # 4, AT # 6, DK # 8, FI # 15, BE # 27, SE # 30, NL # 83
Lyrics



12Blasphemous Rumours - DEPECHE MODE (double A side single1984 / LP Some Great Reward, 1984)
UK # 16
Lyrics: Girl of sixteen, whole life ahead of her, slashed her wrists, bored with life, didn't succeed Thank The Lord for small mercies


13Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of - U2 (LP All That You Can't Leave Behind2000)
UK # 2, US # 52, IT # 1, DK # 9, FI # 10, SE # 23, FR # 31, AT # 38, CH # 38, DE # 40, AU # 3, NZ # 17
A song that according to Bono was inspired by a fictional conversation with his friend Michael Hutchence about suicide.
Lyrics


14Suicide - BOBBY GAYLOR (LP Fuzzatonic Scream2000)
Lyrics



23:00 - 00:00

15Don't Close Your Eyes - KIX (LP Blow My Fuse1988)
US # 11
Lyrics: so you think you're a little bit wld, in the middle of a suicide


16All The Young Dudes - MOTT THE HOOPLE (LP All The Young Dudes1972)
UK # 3, US # 37, NL # 20
The song was written & produced by David Bowie.
Lyrics: Billy rapped all night 'bout his suicide, how he'd kick it in the head when he was 25


17These Days - BON JOVI (LP These Days1995)
UK # 7, CH # 31, NL # 45, DE # 61, AU # 38
Lyrics: Jimmy shoes busted both his legs, trying to learn to fly From a second story window, he just jumped and closed his eyes His momma said he was crazy, he said, momma, I've got to try Don't you know that all my heroes died and I guess I'd rather die than fade away


18Summertime Sadness - LANA DEL RAY (LP Born To Die2012)
CH # 3, DE # 4, IT # 6, AT # 8, FR # 10, BE # 15, SE # 20, ES # 29, NL # 53, AU # 3, NZ # 23
The song's accompanying music video depicts Del Rey and actress Jaime King as a couple. As the storyline progresses, both characters commit suicide by jumping from perilous heights.
Lyrics


19Emma - HOT CHOCOLATE (LP Cicero Park1974)
UK # 3, NL # 2, BE # 2, DE # 19
Lyrics: It was a cold and dark December night When I opened up the bedroom door To find her lying still and cold Upon the bed A love letter lying on the bedroom floor It read : "Darling I love you, But I just can't keep on living on dreams no more. I tried so very hard not to leave you alone. I just can't keep on trying no more."


20Angelo - BROTHERHOOD OF MAN (LP Images1977)
UK # 1, IE # 1, BE # 3, NL # 5, DE # 14, NZ # 37
Lyrics: they knew it wasn't wrong, they found a love so strong, they took their lives that night and in the morning light they found them on the sand, thes saw them lying there, hand-in-hand


21Suicide Is Painless - The M*A*S*H / JOHNNY MANDEL (OST M.A.S.H. 1970)
NL # 3, UK # 1 (1980), IE # 1 (1980)
Lyrics


22Ode To Billie Joe - BOBBIE GENTRY (LP Ode To Billie Joe1967)
US # 1, CA # 1, NL # 11, DE # 23
Lyrics: Billy Joe MacAllister's jumped off the Tallahatchie Bridge


23Jump - AZTEC CAMERA (b side on single ''All I Need Is Everything'', 1984)
The song is a cover version of US # 1 hit ''Jump'' by Van Halen (LP 1984, 1984)
LyricsDavid Lee Roth: "Jump" is a song that we wrote for several different reasons, primarily because it is leap year and secondly, because I was watching television one night and it was the five o'clock news and there was a fellow standing on top of the Arco Towers in Los Angeles and he was about to check out early, he was going to do the 33 stories drop - and there was a whole crowd of people in the parking lot downstairs yelling "Don't jump, don't jump" and I thought to myself, "Jump." So, I wrote it down and ultimately it made in onto the record, although in a much more positive vein. It's easy to translate it the way you hear it on the record as a "go for it" attitude, positive sort of affair - I jog, therefore, I am, approach.


24Asleep - THE SMITHS (b side on The Boy With The Thorn In His Side1985 / LP The World Won't Listem, 1986)
Lyrics: Sing me to sleep and then leave me alone Don't try to wake me in the morning 'cause I will be gone
UK # 4, FR # 31, NL # 58, AU # 47, NZ # 23
Lyrics: Don't try to wake me in the morning 'Cause I will be gone. Don't feel bad for me I want you to know Deep in the cell of my hear I will feel so glad to go


25No Surpises - RADIOHEAD (LP OK Cmputer1997)
UK # 4, FR # 31, NL # 58, AU # 47, NZ # 23
Lyrics: A handshake of carbon monoxide


26Rock 'n' Roll Suicide - DAVID BOWIE (single, 1974 / LP The Rise & Fall Of Ziggy Stardust & The Spiders From Mars1972)
UK # 22
Lyrics


27Alone Again (Naturally) - GILBERT O'SULLIVAN (single1972 / LP Himself  - US Edition, 1972)
US # 1, UK # 3, NL # 18, DE # 33
Lyrics: I promise myself to treat myself and visit a nearby tower and climbing to the top will throw myself off, in an effort to make it clear to whoever wants to know what it's like when your shattered


28Vincent - DON McLEAN (LP American Pie1971)
UK # 1, US # 12, NL # 16, DE # 21, BE # 30
A tribute to Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh.
LyricsOn that starry, starry night You took your life, as lovers often do


29Gloony Sunday - BILLIE HOLIDAY (single1941)
Original Hungarian version by Rezso Seress (1933) titled ''Vége A Yilágnak'' (The World Is Ending).
First English version by Hal Kemp (1936) with lyrics by Sam M. Lewis, based not on the original lyrics by Seress but on the lyrics of poet Laszlo Javor provided for the popular second Hungarian version of Pál Kalmár titled Szomorú Vasárnap (1935).

Η κορυφαία σελίδα για το τραγούδι στο διαδίκτυο, στο ιστολόγιο του Μάρκου Φράγκου.

The lyrics of the original Rezso Seress Hungarian version (English traslation)
It is autumn and the leaves are falling
All love has died on earth
The wind is weeping with sorrowful tears
My heart will never hope for a new spring again
My tears and my sorrows are all in vain
People are heartless, greedy and wicked...

Love has died!

The world has come to its end, hope has ceased to have a meaning
Cities are being wiped out, shrapnel is making music
Meadows are coloured red with human blood
There are dead people on the streets everywhere
I will say another quiet prayer:
People are sinners, Lord, they make mistakes...

The world has ended!

The popular Hungarian version of poet Laszlo Javor (English translation)
Gloomy Sunday with a hundred white flowers
I was waiting for you my dearest with a prayer
A Sunday morning, chasing after my dreams
The carriage of my sorrow returned to me without you
It is since then that my Sundays have been forever sad
Tears my only drink, the sorrow my bread...

Gloomy Sunday

This last Sunday, my darling please come to me
There'll be a priest, a coffin, a catafalque and a winding-sheet
There'll be flowers for you, flowers and a coffin
Under the blossoming trees it will be my last journey
My eyes will be open, so that I could see you for a last time
Don't be afraid of my eyes, I'm blessing you even in my death...

The last Sunday

The famous English lyrics by Sam M. Lewis
Sunday is gloomy
My hours are slumberless
Dearest the shadows
I live with are numberless

Little white flowers
Will never awaken you
Not where the black coach
Of sorrow has taken you

Angels have no thoughts
Of ever returning you
Would they be angry
If I thought of joining you

Gloomy Sunday

Gloomy is Sunday
With shadows I spend it all
My heart and I
Have decided to end it all

Soon there'll be candles
And prayers that are said I know
Let them not weep
Let them know that I'm glad to go

Death is no dream
For in death I'm caressin' you
With the last breath of my soul
I'll be blessin' you

Gloomy Sunday

Dreaming, I was only dreaming
I wake and I find you asleep
In the deep of my heart here

Darling I hope
That my dream never haunted you
My heart is tellin' you
How much I wanted you
Gloomy Sunday


30Everybody Hurts - REM (LP Automatic For The People1992)
UK # 7, US # 29, FR # 3, NL # 4, BE # 31, DE # 83, AU # 6, NZ # 12
Lyrics: If you feel like letting go (hold on), when you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on




also see:

I Believe - MARCELLA DETROIT (LP Jewel, 1994)
Lyrics: Don't let your anger or your fear become your suicide


No comments: