Today's broadcast is a tribute to life. Songs about yet-to-be-born & newborn babies, lullabies & songs dedicated by famous singers to their children and songs about pregnancy, birth and even... sad & unexpected death.
Listen to the broadcast here:
22:00 - 23:00
01. Had A Dream (Sleeping With The Enemy) - ROGER HODGSON (LP In The Eye Of The Storm, 1984)
US # 48
At the beginning of the song you can hear the cry of a newborn baby. Also, at the beginning of the video -apart for the baby's cry- we see an animated unborn baby (fetus), almost... ''terrified'' at the idea of being born.
Lyrics: Had a dream I was born to be naked in the eye of the storm...
02. Young Turks - ROD STEWART (LP Tonight I'm Yours, 1981)
US # 5, UK # 11, BE # 5, NL # 14, DE # 30, NZ # 19
Lyrics: Billy wrote a letter back home to Patti's parents tryin' to explain. He said we're both real sorry that it had to turn out this way. But there ain't no point in talking when there's nobody list'ning so we just ran away Patti gave birth to a ten pound baby boy, yeah!
03. Papa Don't Preach - MADONNA (LP True Blue, 1986)
US # 1, UK # 1, NL # 1, BE # 1, NO # 1, DE # 2, CH # 2, FR # 3, AT # 4, ES # 4, SE # 6, EUROPEAN # 1, AU # 1, NZ #
04. Babies - ASHFORD & SIMPSON (LP Solid, 1984)
DE # 53, UK # 56, US # 102
A fair warning to parents: When you talk to your children about sex, tell them the truth and not some fairytale about the birds and the bees... ''Your mama shouldn't have told you, babies were made in heaven''
05. Baby, Baby - AMY GRANT (LP Heart In Motion, 1991)
US # 1, UK # 2, SE # 5, NO # 6, AT # 7, DE # 8, CH # 11, BE # 17, NL # 23, AU # 5, NZ # 2
About her daughter Millie Chapman (born: 1990)
06. Precious - ANNIE LENNOX (LP Diva, 1992)
UK # 23, BE # 27, SE # 28, CH # 37, NL # 39, DE # 49
About her daughter Lola Fruchtmann (born: 1990)
07. Just The Two Of Us - WILL SMITH (LP Big Willie Style, 1997)
UK # 2, US # 20, BE # 49, NL # 46, SE # 53, DE # 81, AU # 27, NZ # 6
About his son Trey Smith (born: November 11, 1992)
08. Isn't She Lovely - STEVIE WONDER (LP Songs In The Key Of Life, 1976)
UK # 94
About his daughter Aisha Morris (born: February 2, 1975)
09. Josephine - CHRIS REA (LP Shamrock Diaries, 1985)
FR # 7, NL # 8, BE # 13, DE # 31, UK # 67
About his daughter Josephine Rea (born: Sep 16, 1983)
10. Sarah - THIN LIZZY (LP Black Rose: A Rock Legend, 1979)
UK # 24
About his daughter Sarah Lynott (born: Dec 19, 1978)
11.All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You - HEART (LP Brigade, 1990)
US # 2, UK # 8, SE # 2, NL # 4, BE # 4, CH # 12, DE # 23, AT # 30, AU # 1, NZ # 4
Cover version of ''All I Wanna Do Is Make Love To You'' by Dobie Gray (1979) but with different lyrics.
12. All My Love - LED ZEPPELIN (LP In Through The Out Door. 1979)
It was written in honour of his son Karac Pendragon Plant (born: 1972), who died to a stomach virus on July 27, 1977 while Led Zeppelin was on their North American tour.
13. Tears In Heaven - ERIC CLAPTON (OST Rush, 1992)
US # 2, UK # 5, IE # 1, CH # 7, AT # 10, NL # 13, BE # 16, SE # 24, DE # 42, FR # 112, EUROPEAN # 3, AU # 37, NZ # 1
The song was written about the pain and loss Clapton felt following the death of his four-year-old son, Conor Clapton who fell from a window of a 53rd-floor New York apartment building owned by his mother's friend on March 20, 1991. Clapton arrived at the apartment shortly after the accident.
14. In The Ghetto - ELVIS PRESLEY (LP From Elvis In Memphis, 1969)
US # 3, UK # 2
23:00 - 00:00
15. Cats In The Cradle - HARRY CHAPIN (LP Verities & Balderdash, 1974)
US # 1, CA # 3, AU # 6
16. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) - JOHN LENNON / YOKO ONO (LP Double Fantasy, 1980)
It's a lullaby about his 5-year old son Sean Lennon (born: October 9, 1975)
Celine Dion's cover version is about her son René-Charles Angelil (born: January 25, 2001)
17. Good Night - THE BEATLES (The White Album, 1968)
A lullaby for John's 5-year old son Julian Lennon (born: April 8, 1963) sung by drummer Ringo Starr accompanied by an orchestra arranged and conducted by George Martin.
18. For Your Babies - SIMPLY RED (LP Stars, 1991)
UK # 9, AT # 23, BE # 30, NL # 40, DE # 43, FR # 46, NZ # 47
19. Lovin' You - MINNIE RIPERTON (single, 1975 / LP Perfect Angel, 1974)
US # 1, UK # 2, NL # 6, BE # 7
According to the liner notes from Riperton's compilation CD Petals, the melody for "Lovin' You" was created as a distraction for her daughter Maya Rudolph (born: July 27, 1972) when she was a baby so that Minnie and her husband Richard could hang out.
20. (You're) Having My Baby - PAUL ANKA feat. ODIA COATES (single, 1974)
US # 1, CA # 1, UK # 6
21. I've Never Been To Me - CHARLENE (single, 1977 & 1982 / LP Songs Of Love, 1977)
UK # 1 (1982), US # 3 (1982)
Lyrics: It's that little baby you're holding... I've been to cryin' for unborn children That might have made me complete
22. Rock 'n' Roll Lullaby - B.J. THOMAS (LP Billy Joe Thomas, 1972)
US # 15
The song features Duane Eddy on lead guitar.
23. Johnny's Not Here - LOVE & MONEY (LP Dogs In The Traffic, 1991)
24. What It's Like - EVERLAST (LP Whitey Ford Sings The Blues, 1998)
US # 13, UK # 34, DE # 17, AT # 17, CH # 20, NL # 58, AU # 26, NZ # 31
Lyrics: Mary got pregnant from a kid named Tom that said he was in love
He said, "Don't worry about a thing, baby doll
I'm the man you've been dreaming of."
But three months later he say he won't date her or return her calls
And she swear, "God damn, if I find that man I'm cuttin' off his balls."
And then she heads for the clinic and
She gets some static walking through the door
They call her a killer, and they call her a sinner
And they call her a whore
God forbid you ever had to walk a mile in her shoes
Cause then you really might know what it's like to have to choose
25. Forever Young - BOB DYLAN (LP Planet Waves, 1974)
Written as a lullaby either for 1) his eldest son Jesse, born in 1966 (according to wikipedia) or 2) for his son Jakob (born in 1969) according to other sources. Dylan is quoted as saying that he wrote "Forever Young" in Tucson, Arizona, "thinking about" one of his sons and "not wanting to be too sentimental."
26. Time In A Bottle - JIM CROCE (single, 1973 / LP You Don't Mess Around With Jim, 1972)
US # 1, FR # 106
Jim wrote the lyrics after his wife Ingrid told him she was pregnant with his son, Adrian, in December 1970. Jim died on September 20, 1973 in a plane crash. The song was released November 1973 and became posthumous his second and final US # 1 song.
27. This Woman's Work - KATE BUSH (LP The Sensual World, 1989)
UK # 25
28. Love Of My Life - CARLY SIMON (OST This Is My Life, 1992)
Carly has stated the inspiration for the song was her children, Ben and Sally Taylor.
She recorded an alternate lullaby version of the song for her album Into White (2007)
Lyrics: rom the moment I first saw you, the second that you were born I knew that you were the love of my life
29. What A Wonderful World - LOUIS ARMSTRONG (single, 1967)
Charts in 1968: UK # 1, DE # 6, BE # 6, NO # 6, CH # 7
Charts in 1988: AU # 1, US # 32, NL # 5, NZ # 8
Lyrics: I hear babies crying, I watch them grow They'll learn much more than I'll never know
30. Flowers For Zoe - LENNY KRAVITZ (LP Mama Said, 1991)
About his daughter Zoë Isabella Kravitz (born: December 1, 1988) with Lisa Bonet.