Saturday, July 26, 2008

TELEPHONE SONGS



Songs referring to Telephone in general (calling, phone etc)

A Rockin’ Good Way-BROOK BENTON & DINAH WASHINGTON (1960), SHAKIN' STEVENS & BONNIE TYLER (1984 / you called me on the phone)
All By Myself-ERIC CARMEN (1975 / Living alone I think of all the friends I've known But when I dial the telephone Nobody's home)
Alone-HEART (1987 / no answer on the telephone)
Angel-ARETHA FRANKLIN (1973 / I got a call the other day It was my sister, Carolyn, sayin Aretha, come by when you can I've got somethin I wanna say)
Anyone Out There-DURAN DURAN (1981 / Well I tried to phone last night but you never answered, Just left me ringing on the line)
Baby Come To Me-PATTI AUSTIN & JAMES INGRAM (1981)
Baby Don't Forget My Number-MILLI VANILLI (1988)
Bad Connection-YAZOO (1982)
Bell Bottomed Tear-THE BEAUTIFUL SOUTH (1992 / roll out the red carpets and unplug the phone)
Break Away-COOL UNCLE (2015 / You don't have to live like I live on a phone line)
By The Time I Get To Phoenix-GLEN CAMPBELL (1967 / she'll probably stop at lunch & give me a call but she'll just hear that phone keep on ringing, off the wall, that's all)
Call Me-BLONDIE (1980)
Call Me-GO WEST (1985)
Call Me-CHRIS MONTEZ (1966)
Call Me, Call Me-MATISSE (2007)
Can’t We Try-DAN HILL & WANDA SHEPPARD (1980 & 1987 / I hear you on the telephone)
Cats In The Cradle-HARRY CHAPIN (1974 / as I hang up the phone)
City Lights-WILLIAM PITT (1986 / telephone off line)
Come On Home-EVERYTHING BUT THE GIRL (1986 / Now and then Do you wash your hands of me again? Wish me anywhere but home Drunk and on the end of your phone)
Communication-SPANDAU BALLET (1983 /I'm sitting here, waiting by the telephone,Waiting for the bell to ring, short change, fumble, Dial-a-heart trouble)
Crazy In The Night (Barking At Airplanes)-KIM CARNES (1985 / If I could make it to the phone Before I die of fright)
Cry Me A River-JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE (2002 / now you tell me you need me when you call me on the phone)
Cry To Me-SOLOMON BURKE (1962 / When your baby leaves you all alone And nobody call you on the phone)
Cross My Heart-EVERYTHING BUT THE GIRL (1986 / drunk and on the end of your phone)
Donna-10cc (1972 / Donna waiting by the telephone, Donna waiting for the phone to ring)
Don’t Be Cruel-ELVIS (1956 / please telephone)
Don’t Close Your Eyes-KIX (1989 / why ‘d you call me on the phone)
Don’t Let Go-WANG CHUNG (1984 / I phoned the station for information)
Don't Worry, Be Happy - BOBBY McFERRIN (1988/ Here I give you my phone number When you worry call me, I make you happy)
E Penso A Te-BRUNO LAUZI (1970), MINA (1971, e telefono e intanto penso a te)
Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic- THE POLICE (1981, I resolved to call her up A thousand times a day And ask her if she'll marry me Some old-fashioned way But my silent fears have gripped me Long before I reach the phone)
Eyes Without A Face-BILLY IDOL (1984 / call me on the phone to tell me you’re alone)
For A Friend-THE COMMUNARDS (1987 / As I put down the telephone and the world it carried on)
Funny How Love Is-FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS (1985 / or call me on the phone)
Get Your Number-MARIAH CAREY featuring JERMAINE DUPRI (2005)
Hanging On The Telephone-BLONDIE (1978)
He's On The Phone-SAINT ETIENNE (1995)
How Many Ways-MURRAY HEAD (1979 / Down a telephone line it was easy enough to lose me)
How Will I Know-WHITNEY HOUSTON (1985 / I try to phone but I’m to shy , can’t speak)
I Called U-LIL LOUIS (1989)
I Can’t Live Without You-NORWOOD (1987 / waiting there for the telephone to ring)
I Wanna Hear It From Your Lips-ERIC CARMEN (1985 / I hear it on the phone)
It Hurts Too Much-ERIC CARMEN (1980 / waiting for the phone to ring)
It's Not Right But It's Okay-WHITNEY HOUSTON (1998 / The phone rings Then you look at me (Why´d you turn And look at me) You said it was one of your friends From over on 54th street So why did 213 show up On your caller ID)
Invisible-ALISON MOYET (1984 / I can never reach you on the phone)
Jealousy-PET SHOP BOYS (1991 / You didn't phone when you said you would)
Jimmy Loves Mary-Anne-LOOKING GLASS (1973), JOSIE COTTON (1984 / She picks up the phone )
Johnny Come Home –FINE YOUNG CANNIBALS (1985 / use the phone call your mum)
Keep Your Hands To Yourself-GEORGIA SATELLITES (1986 / Want to call you on the telephone baby I give you a ring)
King Without A Crown-ABC (1987 / when all I get’s your answerphone but ain’t home)
Last Night A DJ Saved My Life-INDEEP (1983)
Left To My Own Devices-PET SHOP BOYS (1988 / phone up a friend, who's a party animal... turn off the TV, look at a book pick up the phone, fix some food)
Like Dreamers Do-MICA PARIS feat. COURTNEY PINE (1988 / long distance calling)
Long Slow Goodbye-QUEENS OF THE STONEAGE (2005 / In every voice, I hear you speak Waitin' by the telephone)
Lover Come Back To Me-DEAD OR ALIVE (1985 / I've been wishing you would telephone me)
Luv Connection-TOWA TEI (1994 / I don't need a phone to hear you calling me, cause you got a line to my heart)
Magic Moments-PERRY COMO (1957 / the telephone call that tied up the line for hours and hours)
Majesty-MADRUGADA (2002 / and we cried and we cried on the phone)
Manhunt-KAREN KAMON (1983 / I´ve been sittin' at home by the telephone, hopin' I´m in his plans)
Meet Me In Verona-SALLY OLDFIELD (1983 / You call me, you say, "Meet me in Verona" Couldn't we handle this on the phone?)
Miss You-THE ROLLING STONES (1978 / Been waiting on your call When the phone rings Its just some friends of mine that say)
Miss You Much-JANET JACKSON (1989 / tell you on the phone)
Missing-TERRY BLAIR & ANUCHKA (1989 / the rain is falling but i've tried calling but i just can't get through to say i'm missing, missing you)
Mr. Telephone Man-NEW EDITION (1985)
Name & No-CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT (1989)
Never Too Much-LUTHER VANDROSS (1981 / I called you up, but you weren't there and I was broken hearted Hung up the phone, can't be too late)
No More Lonely Nights-PAUL McCARTNEY (1984 / I can't wait another day until I call you)
The Night Is Still Young-BILLY JOEL (1985 / no more separations where you have to say goodnight to a telephone)
O Superman-LAURIE ANDERSON (1981)
Obscene Phone Caller-ROCKWELL (1984)
Orchard Road-LEO SAYER (1981 / I got to make this call... you’re hanging on the telephone line tonight)
Part-Time Lover-STEVIE WONDER (1985 / call up, ring once, hang up the phone)
Party Fears Two-THE ASSOCIATES (1982 / I'll have a shower And then phone my brother up)
Pick Up The Phone-F.R. DAVID (1982)
Rent-PET SHOP BOYS (LP Actually, 1987 / You phone me in the evening on hearsay)
Reunited-PEACHES & HERB (1978 / came back to life just when I got your call I wished I could climb right through the telephone line and give you what you want)
Rhinestone Cowboy-GLEN CAMPBELL (1975 / Like a rhinestone cowboy Getting cards and letters from people I don't even know And offers comin' over the phone)
Ring Ring Ring-DE LA SOUL (1991 / based on Name & No by Curiosity Killed the Cat)
Romeo-DONNA SUMMER (1983 / last night he called on the telephone)
Say Say Say-PAUL McCARTNEY & MICHAEL JACKSON (1983 / all alone I sit home by the phone waiting for you, baby)
Secret Lovers-ATLANTIC STARR (1986 / I wait anxiously alone by the phone)
Sexual Healing-MARVIN GAYE (1982 /Whenever blue tear drops are falling and my emotional stability is leaving me, there is something I can do, I can get on the telephone and call you up baby)
Shake Your Love-DEBBIE GIBSON (1987 / I hang up the phone and I cry)
Shellshock-NEW ORDER (1986 / you call me on the phone)
So In Love-OMD (1985 / Don't phone me up, don't call around Don't waste your time)
Someday-GLASS TIGER (1986 / when I come home, you telephone)
Spend The Night-THE COOL NOTES (1985)
Subterranean Homesick Blues-BOB DYLAN (1965 / The phone's tapped anyway)
Suzanna-THE ART COMPANY (1984 / and then the phone begins to ring and a strangers voice on the other end of the line says oh, wrong number, sorry to waste your time and i think to myself, why now, why me, why?)
Sylvia's Mother-DR. HOOK & THE MEDICINE SHOW (1971 / Sylvia's mother says "Sylvia's busY, Too busy to come to the phone"... And the operator says "40 cents more for the next 3 minutes")
Takin’ A Chance On Love-SHARON REDD (1982 / while searching on the phone)
Telefone (Long Distance Love Affair)-SHEENA EASTON (1983)
10:15 Saturday Night-THE CURE (1979 / waiting for the telephone to ring)
The Harder I Try-BROTHER BEYOND (1988 / I wanted to see you, I call you on the telephone, just to be near you, they tell me that you're not home)
The Train-NITS (The traffic light in the falling rain The unanswered phone)
These Foolish Things-BRYAN FERRY (1973 / A telephone that rings but who's to answer?)
Tonight Tonight Tonight-GENESIS (1986 / so please answer the phone ‘cause I keep calling)
Tonight's The Night-ROD STEWART (1976 / disconnect the telephone line)
Tuesday Afternoon-JENNIFER BROWN (1998 / She (Josie) called me laughin' from a pay phone... By 4 o'clock his waterbed was broken She called me nervous from his cell phone)
Unchain My Heart-RAY CHARLES (1961), TRINI LOPEZ (1963), JOE COCKER (1987 / every time I call you on the phone some fella tells me that you're not at home)
Valerie-STEVE WINWOOD (1982 / call on me, call me, call on me Valerie)
When I Need You-LEO SAYER (1976 /the telephone can't take the place of your smile)
The Wild Boys-DURAN DURAN (1984 / and your telephone been ringing while you're dancing in the rain)
You’ll Never Stop Me Loving You-SONIA (1989 / you won’t pick up your phone)
Your Ghost-KRISTIN HERSH (1994 / It's the blaze across my nightgownit's the phone's ring)




Conversation on the phone in songs

Chantilly Lace-THE BIG BOPPER (1958)
Clouds Across The Moon-RAH BAND (1985)
I’d Really Love To See You Tonight-ENGLAND DAN & JOHN FORD COLEY (1976)
Inspector Mills-AMERICA (1982)
Telephone Line-ELO (1974)
Walking In The Rain-LOVE UNLIMITED feat. BARRY WHITE (1972)
ald also: Phone Sex
Sex Over The Phone-VILLAGE PEOPLE (1985)




Phone numbers in songs
867-5309 / Jenny-TOMMY TUTONE (1982)
853-5937-SQUEEZE (1987)
6868357 (Hellenic Version) / 53.53.456 (Italian Version)-RAFFAELLA CARRA (1977)
5-7-0-5-CITY BOY (1978)


No comments: