My Radio Boo broadcast (Wednesday 13 January 2016)
The Fauna (Πανίδα) & Flora (Χλωρίδα) of the sea as mentioned in international songs
Some of the most popular and known songs in Hellas, referring or mentioning sea creatures or sea plants.
Listen to the broadcast here:
22:00 - 23:00
01. Rock Lobster - THE B-52's (LP The B-52's, 1979)
UK # 37, NZ # 38
Lyrics: We were at a party, his ear lobe fell in the deep, someone reached on and grabbed it, it was a rock lobster (αστακός).. a giant clam (αχιβάδα)... here comes a stingray (σαλάχι), there goes a manta-ray (σαλάχι μάντα), in walked a jellyfish (μέδουσα), there goes a dog-fish (σκυλόψαρο), chased by a cat-fish (γατόψαρο), in flew a sea robin, watch out for that piranha (πιράνχας), there goes a narwhal (φάλαινα ναρβάλ), here comes a bikini whale (φάλαινα με τη ... μεταφορική έννοια).
02. Beautiful Day - U2 (LP All That You Can't Leave Behind, 2000)
UK # 1, NL # 1, NO # 1, FI # 1, IT # 1, AU # 1, BE # 6, DE # 7, AT # 7, SE # 7, US # 21,
The song has certain similarities with previously released hit by a-ha ''The Sun Always Shines On TV'' (1985) but also with later released ''Principle Of Joy'' by Thom. (2004)
Lyrics: see the tuna fish (τόνος) clearing the sea out
03. Barracuda - HEART (LP Little Queen, 1977)
US # 11, DE # 8, SE # 14, AT # 16, NL # 29, BE # 30, NZ # 37
Ann Wilson wrote the song Barracuda about her record company, Mushroom Records, whom she discovered was trying to spread untrue rumours that she was having an affair with sister & bandmate Nancy Wilson in order to increase record sales.
04. ''Heroes'' - DAVID BOWIE (LP Heroes, 1977)
UK # 24, NL # 9, BE # 17, AT # 19, NZ # 35
Lyrics: I, I wish I could swim, like the dolphins can swim.
05. The Dolphin's Cry - LIVE (LP The Distance To Here, 1999)
BE # 7, NL # 10, AU # 25, NZ # 48, US # 78
Lyrics: can you hear the dolphins cry?
06. Walking In Memphis - MARC COHN (LP Marc Cohn, 1991)
US # 13, UK # 22, IE # 7, AU # 11, DE # 25, FR # 45, NL # 56
Lyrics: they've got catfish (γατόψαρο) on the table
07. The Soul Cages - STING (LP The Soul Cages, 1991)
UK # 57, NL # 77
Lyrics: The boy child is locked in the fisherman's yard, there's a bloodless moonwhere the ocens die, a shoal of nightstars hang fire in the nets and the chaos of cages where the crayfish (καραβίδα) lie.
08. The Siren - NIGHTWISH (LP Once, 2004)
FI # 3, DK # 15, SE # 30, DE # 51, CH # 59,
Lyrics: A lady with a violin playing to the seals... siren (σειρήνα)
09. Mutter - RAMMSTEIN (LP Mutter, 2001)
FI # 7, DE # 47, NL # 69
German lyrics (English translation): In ihren lungen wohnt ein aal (στα πνευμόνια της ζει ένα χέλι)
10. King Of Pain - THE POLICE (LP Synchronicity, 1983)
UK # 3, US # 17, IE # 7, BE # 19, DE # 57
Lyrics: there's a dead salmon (σολομός) frozen in a waterfall, that's my soul up there... There's a blue whale (γαλάζια φάλαινα) by a springtide's ebb, that's my soul up there
11. Crazy Little Thing Called Love - QUEEN (single, 1979 / LP The Game, 1980)
US # 1, UK # 2, CA # 1, NL # 1, NZ # 2, BE # 3, CH # 5, NO # 8, AT # 9, DE # 13
Lyrics: it shakes all over like a jellyfish (μέδουσα)
12. Papa Pingouin - SOPHIE & MAGALY (ESC 1980, 9th place for Luxemburg)
Though the original song didn't chart, it became a major European hit in its cover version (German version) by Pigloo in 2006 (FR # 1, DE # 4, AT # 4, CH # 6, BE # 6)
13. Octopus's Garden - THE BEATLES (LP Abbey Road, 1969)
Lyrics: I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus's garden in the shade ... we would shout & swim about the coral that lies beneath the waves
23:00 - 00:00
14. Stylo - GORILLAZ (LP Plastic Beach, 2010)
DK # 20, BE # 25, AT # 40, AU # 48, DE # 53, CH # 66
The song has certain cimilarities to Eddy Grant's song ''Time Warp'' (1982)
Lyrics: When the mako (ρυγχοκαρχαρίας) flies up from the bottom in your eyes, then I know the twilight skies are not so broken hearted
15. Shooting Shark - BLUE ÖYSTER CULT (LP The Revölution By Night, 1983)
US # 83, UK # 97
16. Androgyny - GARBAGE (LP Beautiful Garbage, 2001)
UK # 24, NZ # 17, AU # 21, CA # 19, IT # 35, IE # 39, SE # 54, CH # 67, NL # 71, DE # 93
Lyrics: there's never been an oyster (στρείδι) so divine
17. Jonah - BREATHE (LP All That Jazz, 1987)
UK # 60
Lyrics: Sarah, Sarah my misfortune never looked so sweet, Just like Jonah you bring me stormy seas with your deceit... Jonah rode those stormy seas, for the Lord above he would not please... Jonah was swallowed by the whale (the story)...
18. Strange Kind Of Love - LOVE & MONEY (LP Strange Kind Of Love, 1988)
Lyrics: She's like a mermaid, locked in the dungeon of sunken ship
19. Orinoco Flow (Sail Away) - ENYA (LP Watermark, 1988)
UK # 1, IE # 1, NL # 1, CH # 1, DE # 2, NZ # 2, AU # 6, AT # 8, FR # 16, IT # 20, US # 24, EUROPEAN # 1
Lyrics: from Bali to Cali far beneath the Coral Sea
20. I Am The Walrus - THE BEATLES (LP Magical Mystery Tour, 1967)
Lyrics: I am the walrus (θαλάσσιος ίππος)... elementary penguin singing Hare Krishna
21. Feeling Good - NINA SIMONE (LP I Put A Spell On You, 1965)
The song ''Feeling Good'' was first performed in public by the Guyanese-British singer and actor Cy Grant on the opening night of the musical "The Roar of the Greasepaint – The Smell of the Crowd"
at the Theatre Royal in Nottingham on 3 August 1964.
Lyrics: fish in the sea, you know how I feel
22. Jambalaya (On The Bayou) - HANK WILLIAMS WITH HIS DRIFTING COWBOYS (single, 1952)
Lyrics: Jambalaya and a crawfish pie and fillet gumbo (Πιάτα της Louisianna τα οποία περιέχουν αντίστοιχα γαρίδες (shrimps), καραβίδες (crayfishes) και οστρακοειδή (shellfishes) )
23. Starfish & Coffee - PRINCE (LP The Sign O' The Times, 1987)
24. Swordfishtrombone - TOM WAITS (LP Swordfishtrombones, 1983)
Lyrics: a Salvation Army Band girl who played dirty water on a swordfishtrombone (ξιφίας)
25. Seahorse - DEVENDRA BANHART (LP Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon, 2007)
The song is based on ''Golden Brown'' by The Stranglers (1981)
26. Vanilla Sky - PAUL McCARTNEY (OST Vanilla Sky, 2001)
Lyrics: melted tin beads cast your fortune in a glass of wine, snail or fish, maroon or dolphin, sea of silver shine
27. Molly Malone - SINEAD O'CONNOR (LP Sean-Nos Nua, 2002)
The song became Dublin's unofficial anthem.
Lyrics: She died of a fever and no one could save her and that was the end of sweet Molly Malone, Now her ghost wheels her barrow through strees broad & narrow crying cockles (κυδώνια) & mussels (μύδια) alive!
28. Ρέγγαι & Λακέρδαι - ΣΑΚΗΣ ΜΠΟΥΛΑΣ (LP Μπουλάς Ελλάς, 1986)