Freedom's my name...
Eleftherios (Lefteris): he who is free
One day after my Name day...
...(December the 15th is the day the Hellenic Orthodox Christian Church honours the memory of Holy Martyr St. Eleftherios / Slobodan in Serbia)...
I will be broadcasting songs referring to the highest value of life
Today's broadcast is an Ode to Freedom!
Listen to the broadcast:
22:00 - 23:00
01. You Keep Me Hangin' On - VANILLA FUDGE (LP Vanilla Fudge, 1967)
US # 6, NL # 11
Cover version of ''You Keep Me Hangin' On'' by The Supremes (1966)
Lyrics: set me free why don't you babe, get off my life why don't you babe
02. If You Love Somebody Set The Free - STING (LP The Dream Of The Blue Turtles, 1985)
US # 3, UK # 26, NZ # 6, BE # 13, SE # 19, FR # 23, AT # 28, NL # 38
03. Freedom For The World - PAUL ANKA (LP Freedom Fopr The World, 1987)
BE # 11, NL # 55
Covered by David Hasselhoff (1990)
04. Looking For Freedom - MARC SEABERG (single, 1978)
DE # 16, AT # 18
David Hasselhoff did a successful cover version of "Looking For Freedom" in 1988.
05. Paloma Blanca - GEORGE BAKER SELECTION (single, 1975)
DE # 1, NL # 1, BE # 1, CH # 1, AT # 1, SE # 1, NO # 1, NZ # 1, AU # 2, UK # 10, IT # 12, US # 26, EUROPEAN # 1
Lyrics: I'm just a bird in the sky Una paloma blanca Over the mountain I fly No one can take my freedom away
06. Young Hearts Run Free - CANDI STATON (LP Young Hearts Run Free, 1976)07. Freedom - WHAM! (LP Make It Big, 1984)
UK # 2, US # 20, NZ # 15, BE # 19
UK # 2, US # 20, NZ # 15, BE # 19
UK # 1, US # 3, NO # 1, BE # 2, NL # 3, CH # 5, NZ # 8, SE # 9, DE # 14, FR # 16, AT # 23
08. Free - STEVIE WONDER (LP Characters, 1987)
NL # 20, BE # 26, FR # 36
09. Free Your Mind - EN VOGUE (LP Funky Divas, 1992)
US # 8, UK # 16, NZ # 12, NL # 15, SE # 29, BE # 37, AU # 39
Based on Funkadelic's "Free Your Mind & Your Ass Will Follow" (1970)
10. Me & Bobby McGee - JANIS JOPLIN (LP Pearl, 1971)
US # 1, CH # 3, AT # 7, DE # 8, NL # 11, BE # 15
Originally released by Roger Miller (1970)
Lyrics: freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose, nothing don't mean nothing honey if it ain't free
11. Bird On A Wire - THE NEVILLE BROTHERS
(LP Brother|s Keeper, 1990 / OST Bird On A Wire, 1990)
NZ # 5, DE # 35, UK # 72
Written by Leonard Cohen & first released as "Bird On The Wire" by Judy Collins on her 1968 album "Who Knows Where the Time Goes".
Lyrics: Like a bird on the wire, Like a drunk in a midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free.
12. El Lute - BONEY M (single, 1979)
DE # 1, AT # 1, CH # 2, SE # 10
The song refers to Eleuterio Sanchez.
Lyrics: and he wanted a home just like you and like me in a country were all would be free
13. Free Nelson Mandela - THE SPECIAL AKA (LP In The Studio, 1984)
NZ # 1, UK # 9, IE # 6, BE # 8, NL # 9
14. Captured - SOUTHSIDE JOHNNY & THE JUKES (LP In The Heat, 1984)
Lyrics: We were free but we escaped, Empty life and lonely landscape, Freedom really has its limits
When there's no one sharing in it
23:00 - 00:00
15. Power In The Darkness - TOM ROBINSON BAND (LP Power In The Darkness, 1978)
Lyrics: Freedom, we're talking 'bout your freedom
Freedom to choose what you do with your body
Freedom to believe what you like
Freedom for brothers to love one another
Freedom for black and white
Freedom from harassment, intimidation
Freedom for the mother and wife
Freedom from Big Brother's interrogation
Freedom to live your own life, I'm talking 'bout
Power in the darkness
Frightening lies from the other side
Power in the darkness
Stand up and fight for your rights
Today, institutions fundamental
To the British system of government are under attack
The public schools, the house of lords
The church of England, the holy institution of marriage
Even our magnificent police force are no longer safe
From those who would undermine our society
And it's about time we said 'Enough is enough'
And saw a return to the traditional British values of discipline
Obedience, morality and freedom
What we want is
Freedom from the reds and the blacks and the criminals
Prostitutes, pansies and punks
Football hooligans, juvenile delinquents
Lesbians and left wing scum
Freedom from the niggers and the Pakis and the unions
Freedom from the gypsies and the Jews
Freedom from left wing layabouts and liberals
Freedom from the likes of you
16. People Like Us - TALKING HEADS (OST True Stories, 1986)
Perfomed by John Goodman in the film.
Lyrics: We don't want freedom, We don't want justice, We just want someone to love
17. Ride Like The Wind - CHRISTOPHER CROSS (LP Christopher Cross, 1979)
US # 2, NZ # 31, UK # 69
Lyrics: ride like the wind, to be free again
18. Frei Wie Der Wind - NENA (LP Eisbrecher, 1986)
19. Free As A Bird - THE BEATLES (single, 1995)
UK # 2, US # 6, SE # 3, AU # 6, FI # 7, NL# 9, BE # 11, NO # 14, FR # 23, CH # 25, NZ # 26, AT # 32, DE # 37
20. Free Bird - LYNYRD SKYNYRD (LP Pronounced 'Leh-'nerd 'Skin-'nerd, 1973)
US # 19, UK # 21
Very popular band in Hellas, not only due to their mega hit "Sweet Home Alabama" (1974) but also for songs such as "Saturday Night Special" (1975), "Simple Man" (1973), "That Smell" (1977), ''What's Your Name'' (1977)
21. Free Me - URIAH HEEP (LP Innocent Victim, 1977)
NZ # 3, CH # 8, AT # 8, DE # 9
The band is very poular in Hellas with hits like "Easy Livin'" (1972), "July Morning" (1971), "Lady In Black" (1971), "On The Rebound" (1982) & "Sympathy" (1977).
22. Jokerman - BOB DYLAN (LP Infidels, 1983)
Lyrics: Freedom just around the corner for you but with the truth so far off, what good will it do?
23. Find The Cost Of Freedom (live) - CROSBY, STILLS, NASH & YOUNG (LP 4 Way Street, 1971)
Lyrics: Find the cost to freedom buried in the ground, Mother Earth will swallow you, lay your body down
24. Maybe - THOM PACE (single, 1979)
DE # 1, CH # 2, UK # 14, AT # 28
Lyrics: maybe, there's a world where we don't have to run and maybe there's a time we'll call our own, livin' free in harmony & majesty
25. Don't Dream It's Over - CROWDED HOUSE (LP Crowded House, 1986)
US # 2, CA #, 1, NZ # 1, AU #, 8, BE # 6, NO # 6, NL # 7, DE # 13, IE # 19, UK # 27
Lyrics: There is freedom within, There is freedom without, Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
... Now I'm walking again to the beat of a drum and I'm counting the steps to the door of your heart Only the shadows ahead barely clearing the roof Get to know the feeling of liberation and release
26. Feeling Good - NINA SIMONE (LP I Put A Spell On You, 1965)
The song ''Feeling Good'' was first performed in public by the Guyanese-British singer and actor Cy Grant on the opening night of the musical "The Roar of the Greasepaint – The Smell of the Crowd"
at the Theatre Royal in Nottingham on 3 August 1964.
Lyrics: Stars when you shine you know how I feel Scent of the pine you know how I feel Oh freedom is mine And I know how I feel
27. Freelove - DEPECHE MODE (LP Exciter, 2001)
IT # 3, DK # 5, DE # 8, FI # 11, UK # 19, SE # 20, BE # 30, FR # 52, AT # 61, CH # 67